March 7, 2017
Quinoa Chicken and Feta Burgers
DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO WOULD LOVE THIS ARTICLE? SHARE IT!
Delicious mid week meal, succulent chicken patties coated in crunchy quinoa topped with avocado smash.
ingredients for four
20gm unsalted butter
200gm baby spinach leaves
90gm fresh breadcrumbs
550gm chicken mince
1 x 59gm extra large egg
2 x spring onions
1tsp salt flakes
¼ tsp cracked black pepper
olive oil for cooking
1 x small ripe avocado
1Tbsp sour cream
good pinch ground cumin
salt and pepper
2 tsp lemon juice
½ bunch chives
mixed salad of your choice
- Prepare components for chicken burgers.
- Melt unsalted butter in large frying pan over medium heat until bubbling. Add spinach leaves and season lightly. Turn occasionally and cook quickly until wilted. Drain in colander. When cool enough to handle, squeeze out liquid and finely chop.
- Place breadcrumbs, chicken mince, lightly whisked egg white, feta crumbled into bite size pieces and finely chopped white and green part of spring onions in large bowl. Add cooled chopped spinach. Season mixture with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Divide chicken mix into 8 equal portions. Mould into ‘burger’ shape using hands. Roll in quinoa to coat evenly.
- Pre-heat large frying pan (use the spinach pan, wipe out with absorbent paper) over medium heat. Shallow fry burgers in 2 tablespoons olive oil for about 3 minutes each side, until quinoa is lightly golden and bites are cooked through.
- Rest for up to 5 minutes before serving.
- Make avocado smash. Scoop out avocado flesh and roughly mash with a fork. Add remaining ingredients and stir through leaving texture still rough. Taste for seasoning.
- Serve warm chicken bites topped with a dollop of smash, sprinkled with finely chopped chives and a big chilled crisp mixed salad to accompany
- Mix red and white quinoa available in supermarkets for an attractive finish.
- Burgers can be made in advance and allowed to chill right through in fridge. Just be aware if cooking burgers from fridge, extend the time in the pan to a further minute or so each side so they cook right through.
- Make a cherry tomato and basil salsa to top bites if preferred. See image. these are also great cold in a lunchbox.
- Make with pork or turkey mince as a variation to this recipe.