January 30, 2017
Whole Egg Mayonnaise and Aioli
DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO WOULD LOVE THIS ARTICLE? SHARE IT!
makes about 500ml
1 x 59gm extra large whole eggs
1½ tsp apple cider vinegar or vinegar of your choice
¾ tsp Dijon mustard
pinch white pepper
½ tsp salt
150ml rice bran or other bland vegetable oil
150ml olive oil
For aioli add a small clove crushed garlic once made. Stir and set aside for at least 30 minutes if possible for the garlic flavour to soften.
ALL INGREDIENTS MUST BE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE
Can be made by hand with balloon whisk and muscles, in small food processor bowl, in electric mixer with whisk attachment, in blender or in jug with a hand held stick blender.
- Break whole eggs into jug.
- Add vinegar, Dijon, salt and pepper.
- Using stick blended, whisk for a minute to form a light frothy liquid.
- Combine oils in clean jug.
- Continuing to whisk on high speed, pour oil into egg mixture in a slow steady stream to start with. As mixture takes on more oil, a larger stream can be added to speed up the process.
- Once all oil is combined it will be thick and smooth.
- Add garlic if making aioli and stir through mayonnaise.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Refrigerate in covered container for up to 7 days.
- This recipe uses the whole egg so makes a light mayonnaise. Traditionally made with yolks only, the whites often are wasted.
- To avoid the danger of mayonnaise splitting as it is being made, follow guidelines below. Splitting occurs when eggs cannot hold the amount of oil being added. It can happen for a few reasons;
Oil is added too fast – slow pour is safer than fast. But not too slow! It should only take 1 to 2 minutes to add the above amount.
Ingredients are too cold – have all components at room temperature.
Mixture is being whisked too slowly. Use something with a faster torque like a blender rather than a processor or whisking by hand.
- If mayonnaise has split and looks like oily scrambled eggs, remove from jug. Wash and dry jug. Place in a fresh egg yolk and blend for a minute to aerate. Add split mayonnaise a spoonful at a time to incorporate into a smooth sauce.
- Make Tartare Sauce by adding finely chopped capers, cornichons (pickled baby cucumbers) or gherkins and finely chopped parsley. I feel fish and chips coming on!