So quick to cook... just get all prep done before cranking up the wok to cook this stir fry.
INGREDIENTS FOR FOUR
1½ cups long grain fragrant rice
large pinch salt
60gm raw cashews
2 x medium garlic cloves
15 to 20gm fresh ginger
120gm spring onions
150 to 200gm cup mushrooms
300gm Asian greens
400gm chicken breasts
2tsp Chinese 5-Spice
light olive oil or vegetable oil to fry
40ml light soy
40gm hoisin sauce
- Boil 3 cups well salted water in covered pan. Add rice, stir and cover. Simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, until all water has been absorbed. Don’t stir again, once done, leave with lid on until ready to serve, it will keep warm for 10-15 minutes.
- Toast nuts on tray in pre-heated 180°C oven for 7 to 8 minutes, until fragrant and lightly golden. OR toast in wok on medium heat for a few minutes, tossing occasionally, until aromatic.
- Crush garlic and grate ginger. Cut spring onions (white and green parts) on an angle in 1 to 2cm wide slices. Cut mushrooms into medium thick slices. Cut Asian greens into 4cm thick slices from root to tip of leaf, use the whole plant.
- Cut chicken breasts into bite size chunks. Season with 5 Spice and salt.
- Place all ingredients for sauce into a bowl and mix to combine.
- Place wok on medium high heat. Add a couple of tablespoons oil once hot (it will be ready immediately to cook in).
- Toss in chunks of chicken (in 2 batches to avoid wok cooling and meat stewing). Leave the meat in the wok as it falls (try to scatter in fairly well spread out) for a minute to heat back up and colour, then toss and stir fry for a couple of minutes. Remove from pan and fry second batch. Don't cook right through as it will be replaced in wok with vegetables and sauce shortly). Cook each batch for 2-3 minutes.
- Place a further 1 to 2 tablespoons oil in wok and add spring onions over medium heat. Stir fry for a minute, tossing often. Add garlic and ginger along with stalks of the greens and mushrooms. Continue to cook for a further 2 minutes (don't overcook at this stage as the veggies will become totally soft by the end of the cooking time). Turn heat up if vegetables are not sizzling and starting to cook.
- Return all chicken to wok and toss to combine.
- Add sauce to wok, toss to combine.
- Add toasted nuts back to wok and simmer everything gently for a minute or so adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve immediately on a bed of warm rice.
FRESH MADE SIMPLE NOTES:
A tasty balanced flavour with just a few key ingredients. The vegetables can be replaced with loads of alternatives. Less is more in this case, don't put ALL the veg needing using up from your fridge in this as it will muddy the waters. Here are some vegetable combination suggestions
- Brown onion slices, celery and carrot slices
- Spring onions, sweetcorn kernels, peas and carrot slices
- Brown onions, broccoli florets, peas and medium shredded white or Chinese cabbage.
If using noodles, drain and toss through the stir fry on serving to coat with sauce. Sella Basmati is a gorgeous long grain fragrant rice available from MoT Providore and Indian supermarkets. Otherwise serve with rice noodles, wheat noodles or cauliflower rice.