INGREDIENTS FOR FOUR
1 x large brown onion
1 x large green capsicum
1 x baby cos lettuce
120ml sour light cream
1 x large tomato
1 x corn cob
1 x large avocado
20gm fresh coriander
1 x large lime
1Tbsp olive oil
¾ tsp salt
2 x pinches pepper
MEXICAN SPICE MIX
2tsp ground cumin
½ tsp smoked paprika
1tsp ground coriander
2tsp dried oregano
800gm boneless, skinless chicken breasts
6 x large tortilla wraps (bought or homemade)
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C.
- Prepare fillings. Peel and cut onion into ½cm wide slices. Remove stalk and seeds from capsicum. Cut flesh into 4 even size pieces. Cut each piece into ¾cm wide strips.
- Place large frying pan over medium high heat. Fry onion and capsicum in 2 tablespoons oil for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until soft and starting to brown. Remove from pan into bowl. Cover and keep warm in oven.
- Make salsa. Cut tomato in half around the middle. de-seed tomato using fingers, scoop out watery seeds and discard. Cut flesh into strips then fine dice. Place in bowl. Remove husk and silk from corn and discard. Cut cob in half to form 2 shorter lengths. Slice corn kernels away from woody cob and add to bowl. Cut avocado in half and carefully remove stone using knife. Scoop out flesh from skin using large kitchen spoon. Cut into small dice. Finely chop coriander leaves, stalks and cleaned root and add to other items.
- Squeeze lime juice to yield 1 tablespoon. Stir juice through vegetables with olive oil, salt and pepper. Taste and balance with salt if too sour. Spoon salsa into bowl. Place dessert spoon in bowl to use when serving.
- Mix all spices in large bowl to make Mexican spice mix.
- Cut thick part of chicken breasts in half horizontally to make 2 pieces of similar thickness. Cut into ½cm wide strips. Toss chicken with spice mix and 1 teaspoon salt flakes to evenly coat.
- Re-heat large frying pan (no need to wash). Fry chicken strips, in 2 batches in 1 tablespoon olive oil each time for 3 to 4 minutes, until just cooked through.
- Remove from pan and mix with onion and capsicum. Cover again and replace in oven to keep warm.
- Heat pre-made tortillas wrapped in foil in oven for 5 to 7 minutes. Complete filling preparation.
- Very finely shred lettuce. Coarsely grate cheddar. Place lettuce and cheese in piles on large platter. Spoon sour cream into small bowl. Place teaspoon in bowl to use on serving.
- Add chicken, onion and capsicum mix to platter with other filling items. Serve tortillas with platter of fillings.
- Roll fillings inside tortilla. Fold one end over as rolling to stop filling falling out of the bottom. Eat with your hands and make sure you have a serviette handy!
- As an alternative idea, use chicken onion and capsicum mix to serve on a bed of rice and top with salsa. A dollop of sour cream/Greek yoghurt would add the finishing touch.
- Simply serve lettuce, chicken mixture and salsa if wanting a Low Carb or Gluten Free version.
- Omit the cheese and sour cream for a Dairy Free version.
- Use Mexican spice mix in chilli con carne, or a simple minced beef fried with onions and garlic in place of chicken.
- I like to construct the fajitas on heated plates to keep the tortillas warm.