January 23, 2019
Fresh Wheat Tortillas
DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO WOULD LOVE THIS ARTICLE? SHARE IT!
INGREDIENTS FOR EIGHT TORTILLAS
450gm plain flour
5gm salt flakes
1tsp baking powder
80ml light extra virgin
250ml warm water
- To make flatbread, place all ingredients in a food mixer bowl and stir to combine to lumpy dough.
- Fit dough hook and knead for 3 to 5 minutes, until smooth and stretchy.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Lightly flour bench and shape dough into balls.
- Rest under plastic wrap on bench for 5 minutes.
- Place cast iron flat grill plate on stove over medium high heat.
- Roll out first portion to 22cm diameter.
- When grill hot, place on flat plate.
- Monitoring heat, cook first side for about 1½ minutes. Bread may puff slightly during cooking, flatten with fish slice so it can cook evenly. Underside should have brown patches and top side will lighten in patches.
- Flip over and cook for a further ½ to 1 minute.
- Place on warm plate under clean tea towel to keep warm and soft.
- Roll next piece while one is cooking and repeat as above until all flatbread is cooked.
- Pile warm bread on top of one another and serve immediately.
- Once cold, tortillas can be frozen in a pile in a snap lock bag. They defrost quite quickly and can be peeled off one at a time.
- Re-heat multiple tortillas in 180°C oven wrapped in foil for 10 minutes or in microwave if only one being consumed.
- Cook tortillas in non-stick frying pan or BBQ flat hot plate instead of cast iron grill on stove.