April 10, 2016
Really Good Guacamole
Basics, Starters | Finger Food
DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO WOULD LOVE THIS ARTICLE? SHARE IT!
for 400gm guacamole
1 x 300gm large avocado
3tsp lemon juice
2Tbsp sour cream
1Tbsp egg mayonnaise
1Tbsp finely chopped red onion
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
50gm fresh tomato
cracked black pepper
- To prepare guacamole, cut avocado in half, remove stone and scoop out flesh using a large kitchen spoon into a bowl.
- Mash avocado roughly with fork.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Add sour cream, mayonnaise, finely chopped onion and spices. Lightly stir until just combined.
- Cut tomato in half around the middle. Scoop out seeds from using fingers and discard.
- Cut tomato flesh into very fine dice and stir into guacamole.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Salt will balance out the sourness of the lemon juice.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Serve with corn chips to scoop.
- To ensure avocado is perfectly ripe, remove stalk. If flesh underneath is brown or black it is over ripe, if stalk comes away easily and flesh is green underneath as well as the fruit ‘giving’ slightly when pressed you are on to a winner. If rock hard and stalk doesn’t want to detach easily it is under ripe.
- To hasten ripening of avocados, place in paper bag with a ripe banana. The natural gasses the banana produces will speed up the ripening process.
- Immerse chopped onion in cold water, refreshing a couple of times, for about 30 minutes to lessen the ‘raw’ taste whilst retaining the crunch.
- Ensure spices are fresh and aromatic for best results.
- Add guacamole to toasted turkish bread filled with fried bacon, tomato and lettuce.